Saturday, June 25, 2011

I Made an Oopsie



I was reading the Elements of Style by Some Guy.

It's an awesome book.

Until I realise that I screwed something up the book tells me not to.

"Formerly, science was taught by the textbook method, while now the laboratory method is employed."

"Formerly, science was taught by the textbook method; now it is taught by the laboratory method."

"The left-hand version gives the impression that the writer is undecided or timid; he seems unable or afraid to choose one form of expression and hold to it. The right-hand version shows that the writer has at least made his choice and abided by it."

Well, damn. I do it all the time.

I like to pretend I'm demonstrating my impressive vocabulary. I often flat-out refuse to use the same words in one sentence, because I know there's another. This doesn't lead to purple prose, I make sure the writing is varied, but I need to lessen it.

There's probably a lot more I got wrong.

Regards, IVIilitarus

No comments:

Post a Comment